The Lord replied, "I will personally go with you...and I will give you rest--everything will be fine for you." Exodus 33:14

Monday, December 2, 2013

Now go...

Time for me to be bold and say it out loud:

This blog is shifting to a focus on lessons being learned in leadership.  Not expert advice.  Ruminations.

I knew when I was inspired with the title of this blog that the wild obedience would be about more than homeschooling.  I've been having a lot of thoughts about leadership that I think I need to share...  But it's risky.  Wild obedience for sure!

Is there anything more risky than saying, "I'm a leader?"

It's like making yourself a target.

It invites scrutiny.

It raises the question, "Who do you think you are???"  From within and without.

None of that is particularly inviting to me!

It's obvious to me why some people are leaders--they're so talented, creative, full of ideas, super intelligent, global thinkers.  Ah, comparison, you are my enemy!

In general I don't feel that Moses and I are kindred spirits, but I empathize with him in his beginnings.  He was no suma cum laude graduate of the University of Super Spiritual Leaders, but he was called.

God sets a bush on fire that doesn't burn up.  God speaks audibly.

Moses protests, "Who am I to lead the people...?"

God speaks again.  Moses protests.  Again.

God turns Moses' staff into a snake and back.  God makes Moses' hand leprous and then healthy.  Signs and wonders yet Moses protests.  Again.  And again.  Moses explains how unqualified he is and suggests someone else.

Ha!  I get it, Moses.  I too can think of others way more qualified!

Finally God says, "Now go!  I will be with you..."

Who can resist?

Unqualified, knees knocking, irresistibly drawn by the promise of His presence...


Then the Lord asked Moses, "Who makes a person's mouth?
Who decides whether people speak or do not speak,
hear or do not hear, see or do not see?
Is it not I, the Lord?
Now go!  I will be with you as you speak,
and I will instruct you what to say."

Exodus 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment