The Lord replied, "I will personally go with you...and I will give you rest--everything will be fine for you." Exodus 33:14

Monday, October 31, 2011

Safe!



"Even when you are chased by those who seek to kill you.."


My friend laughed as I began reading this verse, "At least no one's trying to kill me!"

Really?

Sure, no person is chasing me down with a weapon, but I'm pretty sure discouragement is trying to choke the life out of me, the sense of being overwhelmed is suffocating...slowing down the Life-giving flow of oxygen.  Inadequacy.  Anxiety.  Weariness.  It can be so many things--you know what it is for you--and, yes, it's an enemy that wants to "kill" you, to shut down the flow of Life in you and through you.  Especially, if you've said yes to an adventure of any kind in wild obedience.

Before you discount yourself from being on an adventure of wild obedience, may I remind you that such adventures are seldom the kind found on front pages of newspapers?  Rather the truly great ones go unseen... A mother wiping up the umpteenth mess with a song of thanksgiving.  A man faithfully going to work to provide for his family.  A moment taken from a busy day to write a line of encouragement.  A smile and word of kindness for a weary cashier.  Any act that is not self-centered is an act of obedience to the call to love like He loves.  Some are definitely more costly than others, but all reflect a greater glory.

It's good to stop and recognize this.  This attack on my life flow is because I'm doing something amazing!  You are a force to be reckoned with, therefore, worthy of being distracted, distressed, and disturbed.

"Even when you are chased by those who seek to kill you.....your life is safe in the care of the Lord your God, secure in his treasure pouch!"*

Chased.  Yet safe.

A contract out on your life.  But secure.

A treasure.  Safe in the care of the Lord.

You.

Doesn't it make you feel wild and free to laugh in the face of the destroyer?  That laughter clears the sense of oppression and Life flows, filling with strength.  I'm safe in His treasure pouch!



*1 Samuel 25:29a
This promise was spoken to David, but all who believe and receive Jesus have access to all the promises.   See Romans 11.

3 comments:

  1. It's AMAZING to think that I am in GOD'S TREASURE POUCH. That's how much we mean to Him! That's how much we are worth! Ahhhh, and He keeps His treasure pouch close to His heart.

    Great post. I so appreciate your knowledge of old and new testament scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. The verse that came to me as I was reading is from Colossians 3: my life is hidden in Christ... so I looked it up, and wouldn't you know it? The verse just before it has been a refrain going through my mind for weeks... "Set your mind on things above..." Love it how God works. Thanks for the further affirmation of these words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that, Brenda! Don't you love how He is so BIG...and so personal all at the same time? :-)

    ReplyDelete